A Travellerspoint blog

The Journey Continues

From St. John's to Halifax

sunny 18 °C


Well yesterday was my last day in St. John's and Newfoundland and man it was a really good day! Starting off with booking a trip to go into the Atlantic Ocean and go sea kayaking at Bay Bulls and hopefully catch a glance at some icebergs and whales in the area. So Steve (Instructor), two guys from Winnipeg and I set out into the bay in our two man kayaks. Well during the three hour paddle we got to the edge of the bay and into open waters after viewing some amaing views of the Newfoundland coastline with its sharp points and water filled coves and caves and jellyfish invested waters along with whales and blue sharks (which unfortunately we didn't get to see...the jellyfish however we did see and by the hundreds. We got hit by a few wakes due to a cat sailing past carrying it's whale watchers. The second time we paddled into the wakes and it became a bumpy ride for us and almost losing the camera a few times by either getting soaking wet through or actually falling into the sea.

So in open waters now and we see a boat in the distance on the horizon and thought nothing of it. However on our way back into the bay the ship we noticed was coming in our way and a a quick pace too! Within 20 minutes it had left the horizon and was literally on its way into the harbour. Luckily we had made it across the bay before it past us and attempted to dock and we were within distance of the ship where we could yell at the crew...we didn't however as we are all mature...well the two from Winnipeg were. Steve and I couldn't stop joking around and aiming jokes at them.

So no whales or icebergs but we did see a huge supply ship come into harbour and coves, caves and amazing coastline too. Oh well! I guess I did see an iceberg on tuesday and whales I can see in Vancouver so all is good. Just to add to the good day, the heavens opened just as we landed back on the shore. Had a little scare when I almost forgot about my camera but grabbed my life jacket off the instructor just in time as he was about to submerge the jacket in a fresh water tank to rinse out the salt water. The trip itself was well worth the money and also I don't need to go to the gym to work on my arms for months now! Just had a three hour session in open waters.

So we head back to the O'Brien's base where we started and headed to the restaurant for fish and chips with cod and not haddock which made a change. It was so nice too! Best fish and chips that I have had since I arrived in Canada and a heck of a lot cheaper than the times in Toronto too!

So we got dropped back off in St. John's in the rain and then I attempted to dry off in the hostel before heading back out to George Street for my final night for a few drinks and see if all the hype of George Street was worth going. Well I went into one bar called Greensleaves and apart from one of the guys at the bar they all just looked at me and just ignored me. Although the live entertainment was good with one guy on guitar taking in requests. When I left i was shocked to hear Grease playing in the bar next door and that it was a karaoke bar and my god the people in there were tone deaf. Mind you I couldn't do a better job especially at Sandy's part but oh well. So unfortunately I missed George Street's busiest night (Friday and Saturday) so really can't say it lived up to its hype for Thursday but I assume it would be really good over the weekend.

So up early today [Friday] to pack and finally head out to the airport for my flight to Halifax in Nova Scotia. Luckily got everything I came into St. John's with and hopefully haven't left anything behind...I don't think so anyway.

So I arrive into Halifax around 3ish and into downtown Halifax at about 3:30pm and the hostel is a lot nicer and more the student atmosphere and I actually have a bed frame and not just a matress on the floor. Wasn't complaining though about St. John's as the matress was comfy!

So had a little walk around the downtown before doing the full day out tomorrow and going to the fortress just down the road and up the hill.

Anyways, I must be off now as I am starting to feel slightly tired so ciao for now.


Posted by Nibsy_86 20:00 Archived in Canada

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint